Saturday, June 8, 2013

When I grow up

My kids fight about the dumbest stuff. They worry, they cry, they throw fits...

and I just roll my eyes. 

And I wonder if God is the same way.

Like maybe the stuff that bothers me doesn't really matter. God just watches and listens and then goes back to reading his book or updating his blog. Maybe he wonders why more people didn't favorite his last tweet or why he doesn't have more followers. Maybe he rolls his eyes when his mom calls and how she still treats him like a kid even though he's 33. He's almost 34. And he's God, for crying out loud. 

Maybe I'm being blasphemous. 

But I don't ever get offended when my kids pretend to be me. 

They wear my shoes and my shirts and talk like me. They play school and pretend to drive and mow the lawn. They swear at the TV and throw their Playstation paddles when LeBron misses too many threes in a row. They say shut up and oh my goodness and one time they called The Incredible Hulk a perv. And I think they got that from me.

The bad news is that we might turn out like our parents. 
The good news is that they might turn out like God.


6 comments:

  1. I just want to say that your transition flawless.

    #ryangoslingseriouslyisgod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9.6.13

    A+++

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you're a teacher and all, but I'm graduated and so now I think that we're just good friends. So I'm going to read your blog like I would a good friend. I'll also comment just like I'm one of your peers. Like we're both in the same class of life, and we have to do blog posts for a grade, the phantom is our teacher, and I like your blog, and you like mine*, and we're just kind of in cahoots on this whole class of life and all.

    "Maybe he rolls his eyes when his mom calls and how she still treats him like a kid even though he's 33. He's almost 34. And he's God, for crying out loud."

    This was so beautiful. Just sayin'.

    *Indicates Hopefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But I don't ever get offended when my kids pretend to be me."

    Good stuff.

    I always consider God to be my friend, but then I remember it's God and I'm not good enough to be friends with God. Does everyone feel like they can't be friends with God? Because maybe God is lonely, and just wants some friends. Friends that love him for him, and not just because he's God. #mindblown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this.
    I know God rolls his eyes when I ask for things, I can sometimes even hear it.
    I am after all his most impertinent child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The bad news is that we might turn out like our parents. The good news is that they might turn out like God."

    Loved this.

    Ryan Gosling was a perfect way to end it too.

    ReplyDelete