Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pictures of Us

I think I fell in love with her yearbook photo first. 

So that can't be real love, right? Yearbook photos don't talk to you, they don't laugh at your jokes, they don't fill your contact case with contact solution sometimes, they don't cook you breakfast, they don't take care of you, and they definitely don't kiss back. 

I'm looking for an iTunes playlist to explain all of this. 

We are never as young as we look in old photographs. We are never as old as we feel in the morning. We are never as happy as we pretend we are and we are never as depressed as we are with the blinds closed. 

Our grandparents will die and we'll go through their old love letters and try to piece it all together. The dust will cloud the whole story, but it was never really about them anyway. It was always about us. We read our older sisters' diaries looking for our name. We read blogs looking for ourselves. We go through photographs ignoring sunsets and beautiful animals, because we just want to see pictures of us.

The emotional piano music plays in the background of our lives, but only when we listen for it. I am a hopeless romantic who is full of hope. But I wonder what song I'd be singing right now if we never ended up together. 

It was 1997 yesterday and it's 1997 today and I hope that will be 1997 forever. 

5 comments:

  1. I like this. Also you need to bring back your highschool haircut.
    "It was always about us" LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked really different than how you look now. But I like it. By the way, I only TAed for creative writing for 4th term so what is your "Paris"? And how do I find mine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think I fell in love with her yearbook photo first" and "I'm a hopeless romantic full of hope" I'm so glad you have a summer blog, because I really miss your class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We go through photographs ignoring sunsets and beautiful animals, because we just want to see pictures of us."

    I'm gonna miss your writing tons when I leave on my mission.

    1997. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the hoes in check

    ReplyDelete