Monday, June 2, 2014

The Big Question




I swear, most of you already graduated, so I guess I'm just a little confused. 

You realize you're not getting a grade for this, right? 

This #summerblogs series wasn't really advertised. It started as an afterthought, and now 50 people have signed up. I'm just trying to figure it out. Everyone is everywhere, and sometimes that just freaks me out a little. I don't go to Seven Peaks anymore because the lines are too long (but really, I'm tired of you seeing me with my shirt off). 

This is me hoping the bridge we're all on doesn't collapse. 

Today is the first day of summer vacation, according to my 8-year-old. Saturday and Sunday were just the weekend. And now it all begins. You writers were all gung-ho about writing and the optimist in me was inspired. 

But if you really knew me, you'd know that I'm not an optimist. My prediction: at least 15 more people sign up by the first day of summer, but then half of you sputter out by the end. 

Because the old men told it like this: Paris was rainier and lonelier than you expected. Right now, the sun is out and the cafes are playing your favorite song and the waiters are bringing your refills before you even ask for them. But all that will change tomorrow. And you're left wondering if you're writing for yourself or for the comments. 

Which is really the question on all of our minds. On all of our lips. In all of our hearts. 

I still don't know the answer. 

9 comments:

  1. I didn't have to stay before, but I did. That's the same reason I'm staying now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my passport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason we write is a battle we all have fought. I just pray mine isn't for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i couldn't stop writing if i wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if this makes sense, or is any comfort, or if it means anything to you, but I think the reason I struggle with sharing my poetry, or hearing compliments about my blog is because I'm selfish, and it was never for them in the first place. But then I'm always commenting on everyone else's blog and living in the beauty of their work, and they probably feel the same way I do. So then we remember that the reason we share/post is to liberate ourselves and others, and that's the beauty of these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS QUESTION IS STILL CRIPPLING AND I JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD LET YOU KNOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who wrote that quote?

    I know that was forever ago but now I'm tempted to make my blog public and join because I just can't stop posting.

    ReplyDelete